Locavore flavours - The Fleurieu Peninsula
We begin our tour with two 95 point wines, both perfect examples of the stunning quality available in the region. Australian winemaker of the year Peter Fraser from Yangarra Estate offers a ‘cascade of red fruits’ with his remarkable 2014 Old Vine Grenache, whilst from Langhorne Creek we have included the 2013 Bernoota, an award winning shiraz and cabernet sauvignon blend. From Bailies of Strathalbyn, we have included their delicious orange and almond biscotti and also their moorish chocolate and hazelnut biscuits. Hive Honey provide natural flavours of the region with their perfectly balanced creamed honey. We also have nutty dukkah delights from Two Hills and a Creek of Strathalbyn and local speciality smoked almonds from Port Willunga. Lime pickle and crackers, jam and sought-after coffee maker Dawn Patrol’s coffee blend make up this delightful mix.
- Yangarra Estate Grenache Old Vine 2015
- From bush vines planted in 1946 on the estate's deep sandy soils, the Old Vine Grenache is complex, elegant and enticing. One of the more perfumed vintages, with pretty, floral aromas and briary bright red fruits. 95 points with James Halliday, a pinot-like wine from the Australian Winemaker of the Year.
- Lake Breeze Bernoota Shiraz Cabernet 2013
- A fine blend of 60% shiraz and 40% cabernet sauvignon, carefully selected from the old vines on the Follett family vineyard. The award winning wine shows dark fruit characters of blackberry and plum with a hint of choc mint and smoky oak aromas. Gold medal winner 2015 Great Australian Red.
- Baylies spiced pear & vine fruit conserve
- Blended with carefully chosen pears, sultanas, currants, ginger, almonds, citrus and spices. Perfect in pies, on pancakes or over ice cream, Baylies have created a delightful topping to complete a dessert.